The New Naim Network Players
The latest network players have been engineered on the basis of a completely new streaming system. Three years in the making, this innovative, Naim-designed digital technology surpasses anything Naim have done before. Combining state-of-the-art DSP with a rich, analogue soul, the network players deliver engaging, immersive sound quality to get the very best out of your music, whilst retaining Naim's classic styling. The range includes the ND5 XS 2, NDX 2 and ND 555 – the first network player in the Naim 500 Series and the only one to match its power and audiophile-quality sound.
Experience Breath-Taking Depth of Sound
Naim’s new network players offer numerous ways to listen to your music with clarity and precision:
- Chromecast built-in
- Apple AirPlay
- Spotify® Connect
- Bluetooth (aptX HD)
- Internet Radio
- UPnP™ (Universal Plug and Play)
- Digital Input (Optical and Coax)
- Wired IR RC5 Output
From the state-of-the-art streaming module to powerful, natural-sounding audio stages – the design DNA runs through each model in the range and helps to give it that distinctive Naim sound. The ND 555 development process also helped Naim step foot into new technologies: for the first time, they’ve added low-voltage differential signalling (LVDS) to a premium Naim player. Naim chose LVDS for its high-definition audio output, which offers faster processing and very low power consumption.
Extraordinary Design Inside and Out
With the new network players, Naim wanted to retain a classic look while integrating their latest technology and innovative new features. All of the models in the range use the familiar brushed metal exterior, while NDX 2 and ND 555 also include a 5" front-panel TFT display. Along with the Naim app, it’s the face of the seamless new Naim streaming system, providing access to streaming services such as Spotify and TIDAL, internet radio, local sources and album artwork – in short, ultimate connectivity.
Total Control At Your Fingertips
NDX 2 and ND 555 are supplied with their own Zigbee® remote controls. They remove the need for line of sight, so you can take control whatever direction you’re facing or even from around the corner. You can also use the same remote for different Naim streamers – a new device can be paired in a matter of seconds. Both the ND 555 and NDX 2 also feature 5" TFT colour displays with proximity sensors, as well as four control buttons for added flexibility and streamlined usability.
The Naim App gives you effortless control over your network player: access all your music including radio stations, streaming services, and explore artist discographies and biographies. Convenient over-the-air software updates make it easy to add new functions at the touch of a button.
ND5 XS 2
The entry-level network player is the perfect introduction to music streaming
The ND5 XS 2 uses the innovative Naim streaming platform with an expanded feature set. High-res UPnP™ streaming, AirPlay, Chromecast built-in, Bluetooth (apt X HD), Spotify Connect, TIDAL, Roon compatibility, internet radio and multiroom streaming – alongside digital and USB inputs for conventional connections – make this versatile player the ideal partner for one of Naim's integrated amplifiers.
Carefully selected and matched parts, an oversized toroidal transformer, decoupled PCB boards: the ND5 XS 2 benefits from classic Naim engineering and fastidious attention to detail to ensure that it delivers natural, engaging sound quality from all sources.
- UPnP-enabled to allow streaming of audio files at up to 32bit/384kHz resolution from Naim Audio hard disk servers, network-attached storage (NAS) devices or any home computer
- Supports a broad range of music formats: WAV, FLAC, DSD, Apple Lossless, AIFF, AAC, Windows Media-formatted files, M4A and MP3. Gapless playback on all file formats
- Four 24bit/192kHz capable digital inputs (S/PDIF) to support optimum connection to external sources
- Built-in Chromecast allows you to stream from hundreds of supported smartphone or tablet apps (192kHz)
- Apple AirPlay - stream music from your iOS device or from iTunes and Apple Music
- Spotify Connect built-in to stream millions of songs from the world’s most popular streaming service
- Native support for TIDAL streaming service with free 90 day trial of lossless HiFi tier
- Front-panel USB port for replay of MP3 player and USB-stored audio (1.6A charge)
- vTuner 5* full-service internet radio
- Multiroom & Party Mode compatible
- iOS and Android Naim Audio app for intuitive control
- Bluetooth connectivity with aptX codec for quality audio playback
- Thanks to RC5 system integration, you can control compatible amplifiers that are connected to your network player directly from the Naim app on a phone or tablet
- Roon ready - turning your music collection into a beautifully laid out catalogue
Technology & Craft
The streaming section of the ND5 XS 2 uses the latest Naim network card featuring low-noise, high-speed low-voltage differential signalling (LVDS) to route the digital audio signal. The higher speed is capable of decoding all HD audio formats at up to 32 bits/384 kHz or DSD128. Rather than the source acting as the digital timing master, the new streaming board turns things around and allows the DAC clock to control the flow of audio data. The data is integer-over-sampled in a SHARC DSP to an incredible 40-bit accuracy before it’s fed to the PCM1791A Burr-Brown digital-toanalogue converter.
Developing a new streaming platform was one of the biggest projects for the Naim staff. Naim engineers across all disciplines – electronic, industrial, acoustic and mechanical – worked for three years to create a system that could make the most of online services such as TIDAL and Spotify while adding future-proof flexibility through Chromecast built-in. Supporting faster data rates with dual-band Wi-Fi and the latest 802.11ac protocol, this robust platform was designed for the highest performance on every level.