With the KI Ruby Series Marantz celebrates the tuning guru and brand ambassador Ken Ishiwata’s 40th anniversary at Marantz. Couples that reach their 40th anniversary, celebrate this special day of their relationship with what is known as a Ruby Anniversary, a day that might be marked with an exchange of the precious red gems. Company Marantz and key designer Ken Ishiwata are making their forty years of partnership with this limited edition special series featuring an engraved signature from Ishiwata completed by a precious stone.
The SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player, meanwhile, features a new disc mechanism, the ‘SACDM-3’, for SACD, CD and CD-ROM playback. Again it draws on company’s flagship machine, the SA-10, but unlike its sibling incorporates digital connectivity.
There’s an asynchronous USB input capable of handling PCM files up to 32bit/384kHz as well as DSD 11.2MHz, with all files being upconverted to DSD for playback. Optical and coaxial inputs and outputs, and a USB type-A input, are also included on the rear panel.
Internally the SA-KI Ruby will carry a unique Marantz DAC with MMM stream and MMM conversion.
The SACD/CD drive is also unique. A quality mechanism developed entirely by Marantz because the brand could not source a drive of the quality required for its top end SACD players.
The SA-KI Ruby will also feature a full, discrete current feedback amplifier with w/HDAM-SA technology.
Parts used inside the SA-KI Ruby are top calibre. They include low noise complimentary transistors, high precision MELF resistors, high-grade film capacitors, low ESR polymer capacitors and get this: unique, Marantz custom designed electrolytic and block capacitors.
Marantz engineers also paid plenty of attention in finding ways to isolate the analogue circuits from the noise-prone digital circuits.
The SA-KI Ruby at a glance.
- Engineered and extensively tuned by a team led by Ken Ishiwata, drawing on more than 35 years of Marantz expertise in CD players
- In-house-developed SACD/CD mechanism “SACDM-3”, designed purely for audio
- SACD/CD playback, and playback of compilations on CD-ROM and DVD-ROM
- Asynchronous USB input for hi-res audio up to PCM / DXD 384kHz/32 bit and DSD11.2MHz
- Isolation of USB and digital inputs to block noise from internal and external sources
- Innovative Marantz Musical Mastering ‘MMM-Stream’ upsampling to DSD and filtering
- Custom-designed 1-bit direct ‘MMM – Conversion’ from DSD to analogue
- New analogue output stage with Marantz HDAM-SA3 and HDAM-SA2 technology and low impedance output
- Power supply using toroidal transformer
- Dedicated headphone amplifier with alldiscrete construction featuring HDAM-SA2
- Laser-engraved ‘Ken Ishiwata’ signature and Ruby motif, marking Ken Ishiwata’s 40 years with Marantz